First published in the April 21, print issue of the San Marino Tribune.
The San Marino Garden Club recently took a field trip to the Los Angeles Floral District for its April 12 general meeting, which was organized by Debra Spaulding and Shana Bayat.
Established by local Japanese growers in 1912, the L.A. Flower Mart was founded in 1919 in a garage near 5th Avenue as the American Florists Exchange by 30 European American growers. It was moved to its current location in 1921, which is on Wall Street and San Julian Street, between 7th Street and 8th Street.
In 1955, George Berlin pioneered selling cut flowers to supermarkets. By 1958, more than 50% of California’s flowers were shipped out of state.
The L.A. Flower Mart, the largest, most successful wholesale flower district in the U.S., opened to the public for the first time in 1996.
Today, more than 125 varieties of cut flowers and foliage from all over the globe are sold, including some from local farms. The mart also sells plants, floral accessories, home decor, holiday decor and ribbon.
Mother’s Day is the busiest event of the year, according to the San Marino Garden Club.