The San Marino Fire Department was summoned to a fire in a vacant house under renovation in the 1200 block Roanoke Road shortly after midnight on Thursday, July 28. When Engine 91 arrived on scene, firefighters found the home involved with a significant fire in the walls and attic spaces, San Marino Fire Chief Mario Rueda said.
Eight fire companies from area departments assisted the SMFD in confining the blaze to the structure. Residents on either side of the home and to the rear were initially evacuated in an abundance of caution, but were quickly allowed to return to their homes.
Due to the fire in the attic and walls, extinguishing the blaze took more than an hour, but there were no injuries and no damage to any adjacent homes. Rueda said the cause of the fire appeared to be the result of construction taking place at the residence.
“Our firefighters did a good job in a very difficult situation,” Rueda said. “The fire gained a tremendous amount of momentum and they were able to keep it from spreading into adjacent properties. I am really glad that nobody was injured.”